The following is a guest post by Auburn University student Briana Martin.
This is a big graphic. Big graphics prompt questions. We've tried to answer any questions below. If you have any feedback to give, or if we goofed on one or more of the details below, shoot us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• 111 programs have been to a bowl game in the last 5 seasons.
• This graphic reflects bowl appearances, not bowl eligibility.
• Programs who are in the final year of the two-year FBS transition process are bowl eligible, if they have at least a 6-6 record.
• This graph does not include the three programs who are not yet bowl eligible: Georgia Southern, UNC-Charlotte, and Old Dominion.
• 3 programs have never been to a bowl: Texas State, UTSA, and Georgia State.
• Some programs, such as Appalachian State and New Mexico State, have toggled between FBS and FCS, so the numbers next to their names are a bit dramatic.
• Akron and South Alabama have only appeared in one bowl game; 2005 and 2014 respectively.
• Top 5 programs with the highest current consecutive bowl appearances: Florida State (33 seasons), Virginia Tech (22 seasons), Georgia (18 seasons), Georgia Tech (18 seasons), and Oklahoma (16 seasons).